How to Use Connect Xbox One Controller on Steam
Xbox One is one of the most sold consoles from Microsoft and it being a next gen controller allows the gamers to have much better experience while playing games on it. Microsoft also launched the updated version of Xbox One i.e. Xbox One S with better specifications and also support for 4K and HDR.
The best part about these consoles are the controllers and how they easily allow you to play video games. Did you know that you can actually use a Xbox One controller to play games on your Windows PC?
The whole process of Xbox One setup and to sync Xbox one controller on PC to play games on Steam is very easy. In fact, you can use it for any game that supports a gamepad. Recently, Steam updated the client to officially support controllers. You can now officially use Xbox One or even a Sony PlayStation controller on Steam games. Of course, the support was available already but it wasn’t supported by Steam on the core. These controllers interacted directly with the game and it totally depended on the game whether they support a controller or not. This means, syncing Xbox one controller is now very easy. With this new update, the controller has now become compatible with all games you have on Steam.
Things You Need
- Xbox One controller
- USB cable for wired controller gaming
- Xbox One Controller Wireless Adapter for wireless gaming
- The latest version of Steam
- Xbox One Driver – 32-bit
- Xbox One Driver – 64-bit
How to Setup Xbox One Controller on PC (Windows)
- Make sure you have the latest version of Steam installed on your PC. Keep the Steam client updated and move on to the next steps.
- Connect your Xbox One controller to your PC and you will notice that the PC will start looking for drivers.
- If you have problems with installing the drivers automatically or if the Xbox controller won’t connect to PC, then just use the download links provided above and you will be able to install them manually.
- Install the 32-bit drivers if you have a 32-bit system and 64-bit if you have a 64-bit system.
- Start up Steam and you will have a proper working controller that will work with all the games now.
Steps to use Xbox One Controller on Steam on Linux
Believe it or not but Linux has been growing up to be a very feasible platform for gaming. Valve, the parent company of Steam has been testing things out with SteamOS which is a Linux based OS specially for Steam games.
Linux also has a native support for Xbox Controller which makes it quite unique because this is something that is only found in Windows OS. Just plug in your Xbox One controller on a Linux system and you’re all set to game.
Steps to use Xbox One Controller on Steam on Mac
Mac is where things get a little bit tricky as there is no plug and play support for the Xbox One controller. You need to download a driver compiled by FranticRain. You can find the latest drivers at this link.
After the install, the Xbox One controller will be detected by Steam inside the games. If you’re facing some sort of issue, just Enjoyable which is a freeware and it lets you map keys of your controller easily.
You can use these gamepads in games that require much better control that a keyboard and a mouse can provide. Racing games are one such genre where you can use a controller to properly control things like acceleration, brakes and more.
Xbox One controllers are known for being easy to use and the fact that they’re manufactured by the same company that develops Windows is the reason why the Xbox Controller is readily supported on Windows and hence Steam.