A famous saying you must have heard about, “a picture is worth a thousand words”, which replicates that tons of things can be easily expressed through a single picture. A renowned photographer once said, “When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs”. After reading such nostalgic lines can you relate something with yourself? Do you feel the same passion about capturing things artistically through the lenses that go unnoticed in most common eyes? At the same time are you a lover of travelling and love to seal things around you within your camera? Then it’s needless to say you must choose the path of photo journalism and become a photo-journalist. If it has already crossed your mind then, it’s time to give yourself a platform to start working. But you may be confused thinking where and how to start. Well, then you have just found the right place for you. This content will give you information about how to become a photo-journalist.
- Some Deets about Photo-Journalist: The study of journalism that uses photographs in order to tell stories to report on news and magazines is generally known as photojournalism. The person who deals with such field and does the work is said be a photo-journalist. The initial role of a photojournalist is to be a story teller visually. They tell stories representing, editing, and by photographing, which none other media can’t. The photographs that are clicked and expressed by photojournalists enhance the story to be read by various readers and viewers. So, if you also think that you have good photography skills then, don’t let it go to waste.
Helpful Tips for Becoming a Photojournalist:
If you have decided to break into the world of photojournalism but somehow not getting any idea of where to start from and what are the requirements then, keep reading. Here you will get all the necessary deets on how to become a photojournalist.
- Research and Study Photographs: In order to start anything seriously first, it’s very important to know everything about it. Learn everything about photojournalism, look for famous photojournalists, and their work. In order to be a photojournalist you must have sound knowledge on photography. Study about all the new trends in this field. Popular and successful photojournalists roam across the globe taking photos, editing, and creating stories.
- Schooling and Education: If you want to start a career in this line, then it’s mandatory to have proper education on it. While applying for jobs many journals and media associations will demand a degree in journalism along with some formal photography training. Therefore, start going to schools for training and proper guidance. You may also pursue a bachelor degree in journalism. This will open doors for your career in the long run.
- Create Portfolio: Before seeking for a job one must create one own portfolio with their best work on it, right after completing graduation. Portfolios help you to achieve work faster since during evaluation people who want to hire get an idea of your work quality in the best possible manner.
- Connect with People & other Photojournalists: In this profession it is best to take photos of people. Since photojournalism is a visual presentation of stories through photographs, about what are the things going around you, it is helpful to connect with people and create documentation. Connect with people and other photojournalists to learn about their work pattern, and then you can apply things on your own.
- Learn About freelancing: It is important to let people know about your work. Freelance is a good way these days to explore your work. You also get to earn from it. You can do work for various company and work on multiple projects in freelance business and increase your connections. A firm network of connection will bring more work for you. Learn the strategy of marketing yourself in freelance business.
- Invest in Necessary Quality Equipments: gradually you will require some necessary equipment to start with such as; a good digital camera, computer, editing software, and may other stuff. Also make sure to keep and maintain a note pad/writing pad to note down things, as your work needs you to create stories. This involves quite a lot investment. Make sure you have arranged all before you step into this field of work and study.
- Enhance your Skills & Publish them: Becoming a photojournalist doesn’t only mean you can just take photographs and print them. It demands a continuous involvement in improving the quality of your photography skills. Adopt skills to publish photo instantly in times of absurd situation. Publish your work so that people come to know about you.
- Step Out into the World: The more you travel and explore stories across the world, the more aware you will be in this field. Participate in as many events as you can. The more you take part the more you experience and get ideas. Get accustomed to stay outside for long hours. Seek permissions from people if you wish to take pictures and showcase their stories.
- Build Your Own website and Increase Network: In today’s world where there are so many other works around you, in order to get yourself notified among the crowd, it’s important to have a website of your own. While some websites allow you to have a free entry, on the other hand it is better to buy a website and have your own domain name. On your website provide your “bio”, portfolio, and all necessary information so that people can get in touch with you.
- Be Tenacious: They say success comes to those who never give up. In your period of work if you find someone who didn’t like your work, never let that have a negative impact on you. One didn’t like it the other may like. Keep on working in giving your best. Be persistent in your field of work. Surely you will be gifted with good results.
That’s all. Hope you find this above guide helpful. It was an attempt to show you a road map if you are planning to take a leap in this sphere of work.